Sights & Sounds
The Sights & Sounds Department curates a selection of physical media on a variety of formats including CD, Vinyl LP, DVD & Blu-ray. It is located on the second floor of Lawson McGhee Library in downtown Knoxville and is managed by Van Walker (865-215-8763 , email@example.com). For more information contact Sights & Sounds at 865-215-8714 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or use the Ask a Librarian form to submit your question.
You may check out up to ten items as a first time card user. After these items are returned, you may check out up to 50 items. (These limits do not apply to downloadables.)
Limits by format:
- 15 books on compact disc
- 15 books on tape
- 15 adult Blu-rays/DVDs
- 15 children's Blu-rays/DVDs
- 15 videotapes
- Music compact discs – 15 items
- Vinyl records – 15 items
- Views – 5 per adult card
- Launchpad tablets – 2 per adult card
- Storytime to Go kits – 1 per adult card
- Downloadables & Streaming
- Kanopy - 5 uses each month per adult card
- Hoopla – 7 uses each month per adult card
- OverDrive/Libby – 15 checkouts at one time
- Flipster magazines – no limit
There are several ways to view new items by format.
If you prefer to view items in a list with some details, use the search bar with the second dropdown set to Library Catalog. (You do not need to enter any search terms.) At the top of your search results, select the the format of your interest. You can also filter by availability.
In the left column, you have filters that expand and collapse. The Publication Date filter allows you to narrow to a date range by year. Another filter is Added in the Last, so you can filter by when items were added to the collection.
The Format filter allows you to choose between DVDs, Blu-ray, eVideo, and more. You can select several of these together.
Due to their fragile nature, vinyl records must be checked out and returned to the circulation desk at Lawson McGhee Library. Violation of the return policy will result in the loss of borrowing privileges.
Vinyl records are loaned free of charge for 21 days and may not be placed on hold. They can be renewed once.
We now offer a selection of 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays. These offer higher resolution, more vivid color, and greater contrast than standard Blu-ray.
To take advantage of these discs you will need:
- 4K compatible Blu-ray player
- 4K television
- High speed HDMI cable to connect the player and television
- 4K players also play regular Blu-rays and DVDs
- Search using the term "4K Ultra HD"
- Most packages also contain a standard Blu-ray version compatible with regular Blu-ray players
Check the disc to see if it is smudged or dirty. If so, use a soft, clean, lint-free cloth to gently wipe from the center of the disc to the edge. If the disc is scratched or still won't play, please notify staff when you return the item. We can repair most scratched DVDs, Blu-rays, and CDs.